If you're interested in finding out how to download videos from Youtube, Facebook, and other video-sharing sites, and you’re looking for the best free video downloader, then you've come to the right place. It can be a very frustrating experience to wait for videos to buffer when watching them on a slow internet connection, or maybe you just want to store the video on your device and avoid the hassle of searching for it later on the vast internet.
Whatever your reason, let’s cut to the chase. There are many free video downloaders that allow you to save videos from websites, but choosing a good one can be difficult. This is why we've compiled a list of the best video downloaders in 2023. In this article, we’ll explore the top 10 best free video downloaders, their features, and their pros and cons. Whether you're looking for a YouTube video downloader, Facebook video downloader, or another downloader, this article covers it all.
Here’s a quick rundown of the video downloaders that topped the list:
- SnapDownloader - Perfect free video downloader with support for YouTube, Facebook, and 900 more websites
- 4K Video Downloader - Good for YouTube
- WinX Youtube Downloader - Quick batch downloads
- JDownloader - Automation features
- ClipGrab - In-built search
- Freemake Video Downloader - Download to DropBox
- Any Video Converter - Multiple video editing features
The Best Video Downloaders (2023 Edition)
Of all the video downloaders on our list, SnapDownloader tops the list as it offers a lot of perks. It is a full-fledged video downloader for both Windows and macOS that lets you download videos from over 900+ sites. As if that’s not amazing enough, you can convert YouTube videos to MP4 in up to 8K resolution or convert them to MP3 format if you just want the music, so you don’t have to go hunting for additional software.
Its optimized download speed has its benefits. For one, you can download entire Youtube playlists and channels and queue them up. If any video seems beyond your reach, SnapDownloader offers a proxy feature to bypass any geo-restrictions. The icing on the cake here is the 24/7 Customer Support, which isn’t very popular with video downloading services.
- Download videos in 8K, 4K, 2K, 1080p, 720p, and other video resolutions
- Bulk downloads: download multiple videos from different websites at once
- High-speed downloads
- Supports almost 1000 websites, including all popular websites such as YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, Vimeo, Coub, and Reddit
- Download YouTube playlists and channels
- Supports YouTube VR videos
- Convert videos to MP4 or MP3 with ease
- Cross-platform support; Windows and macOS
- Bypass geo-restricted videos by setting up a proxy in the app
- Intuitive user-interface
- Only Windows and macOS supported. The app is not compatible with iOS or Android yet.
2. 4K Video Downloader
4K Video Downloader's UI may look a bit dated, but don’t let that fool you, it still packs a punch as a video downloader. It is best known for its ability to queue many videos for downloads at once and its automatic download for new videos. You have to upgrade to its premium plan to get the full extent of its features, but it offers many features for free.
- Bulk downloads
- Download subtitles
- Automatic download for new videos
- Multi-lingual support
- Supports Windows, macOS, and Ubuntu
- Ads in free version
- Only five video formats are supported
- Not versatile; suitable for Youtube only
- No Android or iOS support
3. WinX Youtube Downloader
WinX Youtube Downloader is another excellent option that focuses on downloading online videos - mostly from Youtube - in different formats. Using it is as simple as pasting your video into the download window and clicking “Done” to begin your download. However, the reason we have it ranked third on our list of best free video downloaders is that it only supports a few sites and can’t download 3D and 360-degree videos.
- Can download 4K videos
- Convert videos
- Download your “Watch Later” playlist
- Only 30 sites supported.
- No multi-channel download
Another contender for the top spot, JDownloader is compatible with over 600+ video hosting and sharing platforms. Despite being a free video downloader, it impresses with its customizable download options such as setting bandwidth limitations, auto-extract archives, and download automation. JDownloader is supported by a large community of developers who continuously add more features. However, it can be resource-intensive during multiple downloads.
- Completes captcha forms
- Add-ons to add more features
- Auto-extract archives
- Automation options
- Ads in installer
- Slow to launch
- Unreliable extensions
Right out the box, you can tell that ClipGrab is designed to be easy to use for beginners. It is integrated with a Youtube search feature to offer a fast and easy way to download videos without launching your browser. It also monitors your clipboard for video URLs to automatically grab and download it. Apart from Youtube, Vimeo, Dailymotion, and Facebook, ClipGrab is unclear about the other sites it supports, which may not be a deal-breaker if you plan on downloading from other sites in the future.
- Youtube search feature
- Beginner-friendly interface
- Converts downloaded videos
- Installer includes adware
- Search only returns 12 results.
- A limited number of supported websites
6. Freemake Video Downloader
Freemake Video Downloader boasts of 93 million users in over ten years of its existence. It is a free video downloader that you can use to download clips and shows from almost 10,000 sites in various formats. Like most other free video downloaders, you start by pasting the video’s link. Freemake allows you to select your preferred quality before hitting the download button. If you download a lot of videos, you can set a default video quality to save time.
- Batch download
- Shut down PC upon complete download
- Download to DropBox and Google Drive
- Watermark on the free version
- No macOS version
7. Any Video Converter
Any Video Converter is definitely one of the best free video downloaders available with multiple format support and an integrated video editor packed with effects and filters. Because it’s initially a video converter, converting videos is relatively easy, and it even supports ripping files from discs if that is something you need. However, Any Video Converter has a significant downside when using it to download videos; it limits your video downloads to one at a time.
- 17 format options
- Easy to use
- Excellent video editor
- Faster downloads on the paid plan
- Bundled extra software
- No batch downloads
- No multi-channel sound support
Which free video downloader should you choose?
Provided you adhere to Youtube’s guidelines, free video downloaders are a great tool to have. SnapDownloader brings a lot of relevant features to the table to help you download and convert videos without any hassle. You won’t need additional software to convert videos, extract audios, or download high-quality resolution videos and this all happens in a few clicks.